There is still a child in me


Today, I saw my grandmother after 2 months. I always have been very much closer to her. It would not be wrong if I call her the angel of my life. So, when today I was dropping her at New Delhi Railway Station, a strange emotion shook me up. I instantly travelled back in time to the era when I would have been 6 or 7 at most. I could feel the same old me. She was travelling towards the station with my uncle. I stood there and watched her mix into the crowd. Then, I had the strangest of the sensation. I felt like holding one end of her saree and walking behind her and felt like crying as I used to do earlier. Just then I thought of these lines, " There is still a child inside me".  As soon as I got back home, I started working on this piece. I know for my entire life to follow, this would be among the best piece of work written by me. 






There is still a child in me
___________________________



I am little now, 
Playing in sun all the day,
Arrogant, mischievous and domineering
 But, whenever I see an old soul,
Walking with a stick,
I want to go near her,
Grab it and run away,
Coz, there is a child in me.

Now I am aging slowly, 
Comprehending the lessons of life,
But somewhere my heart cries, 
When I look at an old soul
Sitting in sun,
All I could wish is, 
To go near her and put my head in her lap
And then sleep to her lullaby
Because there is a child in me.

I now am going to school,
I made new friends, got  bikes and cars,
I have many experiences
Some good, Some bad
Some mesmerizing, some embarrassing.
But, Still when I look at an old soul
I want to go to her when she cooks
For the aromas of her dishes is magical
Filling my stomach and leaving a smile
Because there is a child in me.


I am 20 now, 
I go to college these days,
I have read many books now
Some good, some bad, 
Some interesting, Some amazing
But, still when I look at an old soul
I want to go  and sit next to her,
Listen to their stories,
Stories of our past through their eyes
Because there is a child in me.


I work now,
I have had share of my life
And I got married and have a wife
We have kids, and they are growing fast.
I have some memories,
Some are happy, some are sad
Some are beautiful, some are hard to forget
But, now when I see an old soul
I still want to go next to her
And, this time, ask, "How was your past"?

I'm old now, 
I have no work, 
My children have grown up.
My wife is old like me.
I have some feelings
Some are good, Some are bad
Some are regretful and some are deep inside
But, When I see an old soul
My eyes fill tears,
However, I want to ask, " What have you achieved in this life"?

Now, When I look into the mirror,
I see the very old soul
Whom I have seen, 
When I was a child or a parent
Smiling and waving back at me.
Thus, whenever I see an old soul, 
I want to hold their stick,
And gaze upon their happy eyes, 
Because there is still a child in me.

A poem by:-
Upmanyu Bhardwaj







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY BLOGGING?

India’s Growth in Nehru Era

LONELINESS, IS IT A PROBLEM?